The Government of Papua New Guinea (GoPNG) has requested the World Bank (WB) for financing to enhance agricultural productivity and accelerate economic growth. The PNG Agricultural Commercialisation and Diversification Project (PACD) is aimed at institutional reform and capacity building, crop diversification, climate resilience and supporting farmers to shift from subsistence to semi-commercial or commercial farming.
The design of PACD builds on the work completed by the World Bank funded Productive Partnerships in Agriculture Project (PPAP). PPAP focused on smallholder farmers in the coffee and cocoa sectors over several years to deliver support and extension services to rural areas, improve market responsiveness and sustainable production practices, establish productive partnerships and address key infrastructure bottleneck in targeted value chains. In part, PPAP established foundations for strong and sustainable industries and generated broad awareness of the benefits of having a collective approach to addressing bottlenecks in production and market access. PACD will build on this approach, as well as the practices and networks developed in PPAP, to build capacity at the local level and enable meaningful engagement with the private sector.
In total, PACD will support the following agricultural sectors:
The Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) has been prepared for the PACD in PNG. The ESMF has the following objectives:
- To establish clear procedures and methodologies for the screening and consideration of environmental and social aspects related to subprojects;
- To specify appropriate roles and responsibilities for managing, monitoring and reporting on environmental and social aspects of the Project;
- To identify the training, capacity building and technical assistance needed to successfully implement the provisions of the ESMF;
- To establish the project funding required to implement the ESMF requirements; and
- To provide safeguard tools and templates for implementing the ESMF.
The ESMF provides a robust approach to mitigate and manage environmental and social risks and impacts in line with World Bank World Bank safeguard policies that may arise throughout the course of the project.
Volume One: Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) [PACD: ESMF Volume1] PDF (1.51 MB)
Volume Two: Environmental and Social Baseline and Impact Assessment Report [PACD: ESMF Volume2] PDF (2.17 MB)
Volume Three: Resettlement Policy Framework [PACD: ESMF Volume3 – RPF] PDF (504 KB)
Volume Four is the Integrated Pest Management Plan.